[syslinux] pxelinux tftp timeout

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed May 21 16:36:29 PDT 2008

David Halik wrote:
> Hi, I was looking through the archives and wiki for something related to
> this, but all I keep coming up with are options for the prompt timeout
> and user input.
>
> Is there a way to change the default timeout for tftp in pxelinux? The
> be more specific, we use IP in HEX to network boot and it takes a very
> long time for pxelinux to timeout on GUID and MAC, before finally
> getting to HEX and booting. Optionally, is there a way to set the HEX as
> the first choice? I'm assuming all of this is hard coded, but I know
> there is a possibility of configuring it in pxelinux.cfg, I just haven't
> seen any options specific to it yet. Everything seems to refer to the
> syslinux prompt.

Well, you obviously can't configure it in the configuration file, since
we're talking about how the configuration file is located!  You can send
a DHCP option to give it the name of the configuration file, *however*,
there is something wrong with your TFTP server.  Under normal
circumstances, there is no need to timeout here - the TFTP server should
send back an error reply, and so processing the various nonexistent
filenames should take only a fraction of a second.