[syslinux] pxelinux tftp timeout

David Halik dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu
Fri May 23 12:10:32 PDT 2008

> Yes.
>
> Do note again that if you can make the DHCP server generate option 209,
> you can use that to override the default config file search sequence:
>
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Can_I_send_information_to_PXELINUX_via_special_options_in_the_DHCP_response.3F
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5071.txt

Great, that helps a lot. I had looked over that page but didn't realize
the extent to which I can customize the options. Couple of issues. Using
the following for a whole group results in a dhcpd core dump for me with
ISC 3.0. This happens when pxelinux does a dhcpdiscover:

option space pxelinux;
option pxelinux.magic code 208 = string;
option pxelinux.configfile code 209 = text;

site-option-space "pxelinux";
option pxelinux.magic f1:00:74:7e;
if exists dhcp-parameter-request-list {
    # Always send the PXELINUX options (specified in hexadecimal)
    option dhcp-parameter-request-list = concat(option
dhcp-parameter-request-list,d0,d1,d2,d3);
}

option pxelinux.configfile =
concat("pxelinux.cfg/", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, "", leased-address));

I tried the vendor option for a single host and it works just fine with
no core dump, only issue then is that binary-to-ascii gives me lower
case and I need upper case. It looks like there is a ucase funtion in
newer versions, but not in 3.0, so I think I'm going to have to upgrade
and see if either the core dump goes away or I can use ucase to convert
the hex to upper case.

Thanks again!
-Dave

> I would still be interested in the Wireshark trace.
>
> 	-hpa

David Halik
System Administrator
OIT-CSS Rutgers University