[syslinux] Real Dos name of file

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Mon May 26 09:11:23 PDT 2008

Is there a tool that can tell me the real dos name to long dos name
mappings of a file in linux?
in windows?
I can come close with using md5 sums but if there are copies of files
then deleting the wrong one would be a problem area. In linux I
normally have the boot partition mounted as vfat so that the default
kernel installer
can write files like normal. Is there an easy way to know the dos
filename of files without having to unmount and remount as msdos?

For now I just copy the kernel version I want to boot to vmlinuz.new
and the initrd I want to initrd.new

syslinux is the only way that allows an easy dual boot when you have
to reinstall.
I can reinstall windows and easily in windows set my syslinux
partition back to the boot partition. For some reason windows can only
set a fat or ntfs partition as active other wise I would use extlinux
and I wouldn't be needing to know the above, On second thought I also
use syslinux so I can edit the boot order in either linux or windows.