[syslinux] pxelinux tftp timeout

David Halik dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu
Wed May 28 07:40:00 PDT 2008

We upgraded to 3.1.1 and the core dump is gone. Using the below code it
works great so we're going to run with that for now.  Thanks for your
help. We might snoop the wire later to see where the problem really is,
but it is difficult trying to watch what's going on between the NetApp
and pxelinux without any real OS. So... solved for now. :)

David Halik wrote:
>> Yes.
>>
>> Do note again that if you can make the DHCP server generate option 209,
>> you can use that to override the default config file search sequence:
>>
>> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Can_I_send_information_to_PXELINUX_via_special_options_in_the_DHCP_response.3F
>> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5071.txt
>>

> Great, that helps a lot. I had looked over that page but didn't realize
> the extent to which I can customize the options. Couple of issues. Using
> the following for a whole group results in a dhcpd core dump for me with
> ISC 3.0. This happens when pxelinux does a dhcpdiscover:
>
> option space pxelinux;
> option pxelinux.magic code 208 = string;
> option pxelinux.configfile code 209 = text;
>
> site-option-space "pxelinux";
> option pxelinux.magic f1:00:74:7e;
> if exists dhcp-parameter-request-list {
>     # Always send the PXELINUX options (specified in hexadecimal)
>     option dhcp-parameter-request-list = concat(option
> dhcp-parameter-request-list,d0,d1,d2,d3);
> }
>
> option pxelinux.configfile =
> concat("pxelinux.cfg/", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, "", leased-address));
>
> I tried the vendor option for a single host and it works just fine with
> no core dump, only issue then is that binary-to-ascii gives me lower
> case and I need upper case. It looks like there is a ucase funtion in
> newer versions, but not in 3.0, so I think I'm going to have to upgrade
> and see if either the core dump goes away or I can use ucase to convert
> the hex to upper case.
>
> Thanks again!
> -Dave
>

>> I would still be interested in the Wireshark trace.
>>
>> 	-hpa

David Halik
System Administrator
OIT-CSS Rutgers University