[syslinux] chainboot Windows on second drive

forum at draxar.com forum at draxar.com
Fri May 30 15:38:11 PDT 2008

Hi,
I'm new to the list.

I've replaced grub by extlinux to multi boot my system. Now, I can't manage to
boot one of my systems.
I have 5 hard drives, 3 of them being part of a raid0 array, and one of them
being here for backup purposes (can be removed). So the total 'logical' drives
number is 2.
First drive:
- primary partition holding a rescue Windows XP system (ntfs)
- primary partition (boot flag) mounted as /boot (ext2) for Fedora
- LVM partition for Fedora (containing /, /home, and linux swap)

Second drive (raid0 array):
- primary partition (boot flag) for Windows XP (ntfs)
- various Windows partitions

I can boot Fedora and the rescue Windows system with extlinux but I can't boot
my regular Windows system on raid0.
Raid0 is a 'fakeraid' (ich9r) but the problem should not be here.
With grub, I have to swap drives to chainboot Windows using map commands.
I can't find such command for extlinux and I guess this is the problem. If I try
to chainboot Windows XP, it will start my rescue Windows system instead.

Here's my extlinux.conf. What can I do? Thanks

label Fedora
  menu label ^Fedora
  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64
  append initrd=/initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64.img root=/dev/FedoraLVM/RootVol
ro rhgb quiet
label Windows XP
  menu label ^Windows XP
  kernel chain.c32
  append hd1
#won't boot actually on hd1 but hd0 instead (needs mapping)
label Rescue Windows XP
  menu label ^Rescue Windows XP
  kernel chain.c32
  append hd0 1