[syslinux] Interest in NTFS

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Sat May 31 07:47:49 PDT 2008

use case would be the same as the use case for syslinux the difference
would be it would support ntfs file permissions in windows. you could
lock the files down better. You would also be able to support much
bigger partitions. Personally I really cant see how we still have a
mbr and are not using EFI but that is a different story.

Use case:
 partition the disk for linux and windows I'd suggest using parted or
windows partishoning putting windows partition first the size would be
how big you expect windows OS to grow like 20 gig then the boot
partition with ntfslinux now that ntfs-3g exists you can use this as a
shared data store between windows and linux.
 run ntfslinux /dev/sda2
configure d:\ntfslinux.cfg formated the same as syslinux.cfg
set the permissions on the boot and configuration files and wala

The only 2 benefits I really see is permissions, knowing that all OSs
that see it support long filenames and the increased size support.