[syslinux] Interest in NTFS

Andreas Kotes count-linux at flatline.de
Sat May 31 08:33:26 PDT 2008

Hello,

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> [20080531 03:23]:
> I have gotten a couple of probes about NTFS support for Syslinux, and I
> would like to gauge how serious it is.  I'm considering using it as a
> pilot project for writing Syslinux filesystem modules in C.
>
> However, an installer, or more realistically two (one for Win32, one for
> Linux) have to be written, so it's still a real time commitment.

I'd say it's not more than a 'nice to have' .. you can always create a
16-256MB boot partition with a FAT* filesystem on it, and still boot
your windows from an NTFS partition, share data over it, etc ...

I see no additional benefit - if you've got physical access to the
system or at least to the boot prompt, there's no more or less lockdown
you can do in NTFS, there's no more features (for syslinux), etc ...

I think VFAT long filenames are more worthwhile ...

My 2 cents,

   Anndreas

--
flatline IT services - A.Kotes - IT-consulting for ISPs & Internet services