[syslinux] Failure to boot isohybrid image from USB stick

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 08:16:45 PDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gene Cumm wrote:
>>  Running the above command using RIPLinuX-7.2.iso
>> worked with no trouble at all on one of my systems
>> (Dell Latitude D630 BIOS A12).
>
> Thanks for giving me certainty that RIPLinux 7.2
> is indeed a valid benchmark for isohybrid bootability.

For some systems, at least.

>> Kent Robotti makes creating an altered disk very easy.
>
> Regrettably he states to have ended RIP development.
> I have to thank him for a fine rescue system which
> provides all tools needed for restoring system backups
> after major mishaps.

Unfortunately, I missed that in looking at the new version.  I wish I
had more information on how he built/maintained RIPLinux (especially
if there was automation involved).  I know that at least in part it is
based on Slackware and most/all binaries (maybe even libraries) are
UPX compressed in some manner.  I know on several occasions he's
seemed to set RIPLinux aside with no updates for quite some time.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any other rescue distribution that
works quite like RIPLinux, loading solely from an initrd (technically
initramfs at this time).  Some systems have a "toram" options that
copies files afterwards but often they have significant RAM
requirements (of over 512 or 1024 MiB).

Several unpublished modifications I've done include merging both X and
non-X versions into 1 CD using just a little more than the X version,
a patch to utilize serial-only PCs and personalizations.