[syslinux] Failure to boot isohybrid image from USB stick

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Nov 1 11:01:01 PDT 2008

Hi,

Dag Wieers wrote:
> That is sad. Is this definite ?

The statement is on
  http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/
and says
"This will be the last release from me, it should be
 useful for awhile. It's licensed under GPL, anyone
 can do whatever they want with it without my permission.
 My email address is closed."

Let me hope that the reason for this is not
a harsh event in his real life.
Whatever, it looks as if he decided to stay
silent in the foreseeable future.

> So I hope the experience Kent has developped
> does not disappear with RIP.

One will have to dive into docs and changelists.

I began to know RIP when i needed a rescue system
to accompany the backups made by my multi-volume
tool. You rarely find live CDs which support afio
and star.
Later when i worked my way down to burning
and ISO formatting i was surprised to see RIP as
an early adopter of cdrskin and xorriso.
(Thanks for that too.)

So an important part of Kent's work was to
watch freshmeat and/or mailing lists like
cdwrite at other.debian.org .

If really a RIP-Revived project emerges then i
could help to cover the CD/DVD/BD part.
Other parts would need other sleuths who
retrieve relevant packages for inclusion.

Nevertheless, most needed would be a chief
maintainer who can put together all the
finds with the base system.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas