[syslinux] Patching your own boot-disk from first principles

Marty Connor mdc at etherboot.org
Sun Nov 2 16:35:03 PST 2008

Radio Tron wrote:
> heh, If you are going to resort to shameless self-aggrandization how
> can I refuse <g> just kidding! <g> Thanks awfully. Actually, I had
> posted to the gPXE list and Marty Connor (Etherboot) suggested I try
> SYSLINUX's memdisk: (gPXE->pxelinux->memdisk->GRUB+IMAGE). The reason
> for GRUB in the image is because it seems more flexible (I can add a
> GRUB passwd, and can boot into Windows/Linux on HD/floppy/USB or
> re-edit the GRUB cmd line and boot anything..

As you have probably noticed, discussion of non-Syslinux-based
bootloaders is somewhat unpopular with the management of the Syslinux list.

I suggest that you simply describe to the Syslinux folks what you wish
to accomplish, without being specific about the tools you wish to use.
You may get answers you do not expect and that will help solve your
problem in an different but effective way.

Marty