[syslinux] Syslinux on USB not seeing any files

Jernej Simončič jernej at ena.si
Thu Nov 6 06:03:26 PST 2008

I've got a bootable USB pendrive with Syslinux 3.72, and while it
usually works, there are a few computers, where I get the syslinux
prompt, but it neither loads the configuration file, nor I'm able to
boot anything. The only message I get on screen (apart from boot:) is
"Could not find kernel image: linux".

The configuration (and kernels) are in syslinux directory, but even
moving them to root (or naming one of them linux) doesn't help. The
pendrive is SanDisk Cruzer Contour 16GB, FAT32 formatted with
mkdiskimage.

One board where this happens is Gigabyte GA-8ST800 (both with BIOS
versions F3 and F4).

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Some people have one of those days. I've had one of those lives.