[syslinux] Syslinux on USB not seeing any files

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Fri Nov 7 01:44:52 PST 2008

On Friday, November 7, 2008, 5:17:54, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Jernej Simončič wrote:
>> I've got a bootable USB pendrive with Syslinux 3.72, and while it
>> usually works, there are a few computers, where I get the syslinux
>> prompt, but it neither loads the configuration file, nor I'm able to
>> boot anything. The only message I get on screen (apart from boot:) is
>> "Could not find kernel image: linux".
> Presumably you also get the Syslinux banner screen.  Does it say CBIOS
> or EBIOS?

It's CBIOS.

>> One board where this happens is Gigabyte GA-8ST800 (both with BIOS
>> versions F3 and F4).
> What BIOS vendor?

Award.

>> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
> If you have multiple USB modes, make sure you try both USB-HDD and
> USB-ZIP, and that you format your pendrive with zipdrive geometry (64
> heads/32 sectors.)

I tried both, and the results were the same (the pendrive is formatted
with zipdrive geometry).

Disk /dev/sdb: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 15655 cylinders

Nr AF  Hd Sec  Cyl  Hd Sec  Cyl     Start      Size ID
 1 00   0   0    0   0   0    0          0          0 00
 2 00   0   0    0   0   0    0          0          0 00
 3 00   0   0    0   0   0    0          0          0 00
 4 80   1   1    0  63  32 1023         32   32061408 0c

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

There's no such thing as a large whiskey.
       -- Rev. Mahaffy's Observation