[syslinux] Using syslinux on the PMBR of a GPT partition table

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Fri Nov 7 12:48:18 PST 2008

On 11/6/08 5:22 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> If you have a small image you can send me that would be really useful.
>
> 	-hpa
The Fedora livecd script wouldn't work with some very small images, so I
have small-ish (75MB) image here:
http://downloads.diffingo.com/gpttest-noliveos.img

If you use losetup alone on the image and then boot qemu with /dev/loopx,
you should get "Boot partition not found". If I remember correctly, the
magic offset number to for the first partition is 17408, so passing -o 17408
to losetup and then using qemu should make syslinux load fine.

(btw, I used --skipcopy when creating that image so although syslinux comes
up for /dev/sdb1, the LiveOS folder isn't present so no kernels will
actually boot...)

Stewart