[syslinux] Licensing petition about isohybrid

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Nov 10 07:32:50 PST 2008

Hello to hpa,

as announced in previous mails, we implemented
your isohybrid algorithm inside xorriso and
libisofs. Both are currently under GPL, so there
is no licensing issue yet.
But our libraries shall some day be released under
LGPL (when the GPL legacy in libburn is gone).
So there will be a license issue in future.

I consider you to be the main copyright holder
of the MBR generator in libisofs which is a
translation of your programming work. See:
  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Emetalpain2002/libisofs/vreixoml/annotate/395?file_id=make_isohybrid_mbr.c-20081018142959-fdyqj1p1id2zn9i1-1

Would you be willing to give us a LGPL, or a
BSD license, or even donate your copyright share
on that C function make_isohybrid_mbr() to our
libburnia project ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas