[syslinux] PXE booting BartPE ISO file to Eee Pc

cr4z3d cr4z3d at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 10:19:10 PST 2008

So I've been playing with this for hours and still unable to get everything
working properly. In short I'm trying to boot an ISO image created by BartPE
over pxelinux. When I attempt to do this it goes directly to a blank screen
that just has a blinking cursor. Here's what my setup looks like:

pebuilder.iso - the ISO file created from BartPE using WinXP SP2 CD as
source but with ramdisk.sys and ramdisk.inf replaced (sys file in
i386\System32\Drivers inf in i386\INF) from an extracted Server 2003 SP1
download (used 7zip to extract)

I've copied setupldr.exe into the root of my TFTP server and renamed it
ntldr. I also put startrom.com in there (renamed startrom.bs), ntdetect.com,
and winnt.sif.

My winnt.sif file:

[SetupData]
BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"
BootPath = "\i386\System32\"
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd
/rdpath=pebuilder.iso"

My pxelinux menu to boot startrom.bs:

label bartacronis
MENU LABEL ^BartPE w/ Acronis
kernel startrom.bs

Seems to just go to a screen with a blinking cursor and just hang there
forever. I have other things in my boot menu that all work fine so I'm
assuming it has to do with my BartPE setup. I've even tried telling DHCP to
hand out startrom.com as the file to boot from instead of pxelinux but
stilll get the same screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Allan