[syslinux] Syslinux 3.70 - BSS DOS boot says: "Could not find kernel Image: linux".

Radio Tron paleywiener at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 07:39:18 PST 2008

Hello, I'm trying to create and boot a Win98SE-DOS OS through Hard Disk emulation. My src files are from a Win98SE 1440K floppy image file, with a x86 boot sector (dl'd from the net - I have no floppy drive and a slow net link 3.2KB).

I don't know what to put into the partition boot record of my image and how to load dos.bss properly (the docs explain for floppy images not for HD images). Could someone help. I don't have a fast link so I can't download lots of stuff and I have no physical floppy disk present on any of my two machines (Celeron 400Mhz and Cyrix 233 - acts as my test client)

Can I use the COM option in Syslinux to boot MSDOS directly by skipping the boot loader bit and running IBMBIO.COM in PCDOS.. or some other file in Win98SE-DOS

I tried the following (what am I doing wrong??):
mkdiskimage testImage 60 16 63
(-F was grumbling about not enough clusters even though i set fat_bits=16 in mtools.conf - for some reason..)

losetup -o 32256 /dev/loop0 testImage
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt
cp -R /dosImageMountPoint/* /MyImageMntPoint/

dd if=~/Winb98SE.IMA of=dos.bss count=1 bs=512
cp dos.bss /MyImageMntPoint/
cp syslinux.cfg /MyImageMntPoint/
cat syslinux.cfg
LABEL PCDOS/Ghost Boot - Console Connect
      SAY Loading: DOS Boot Loader.....
      TIMEOUT 100
      BSS dos.bss

(TIMEOUT doesn't seem to be working.. I get:
"Could not find kernel image: linux", instantly!)

.../mtools/syslinux  -o 32256 testImage

qemu testImage, result (hand typed - abbreviated ):
Options apmbios pcibios eltorito

ata0 master: QEMU HardDisk ATA7 HardDisk (29 MBytes)
ata1 master: QEMU CDROM ATAPI-4 CD-Rom/DVD-Rom

Booting from Hard Disk...

SYSLINUX 3.70 0x490fedad EBIOS [etc...]
Could not find kernel image: linux
boot: