[syslinux] Syslinux 3.70 - BSS DOS boot says: "Could not find kernel Image: linux".

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Nov 11 14:22:35 PST 2008

Gene Cumm wrote:

> Hmm... it does but possibly some of the finer points might be
> missing(saying procedure is identical).
>
>> Can I use the COM option in Syslinux to boot MSDOS directly by skipping the boot loader bit and running IBMBIO.COM in PCDOS.. or some other file in Win98SE-DOS

You might be able to do that with chain.c32, but that's an experimental
feature at this point.

There is a bug in the handling of .bss on FAT12/16 filesystems - it
copies too much.  The amount to copy was hard-coded to be the size of
the superblock buffer, but the superblock is different size in FAT12/16
and in FAT32.  I still need to fix that.

> I think that's the intention behind obtaining the boot sector from the
> floppy image.
>
>> cat syslinux.cfg
>> LABEL PCDOS/Ghost Boot - Console Connect
>>      SAY Loading: DOS Boot Loader.....
>>      TIMEOUT 100
>>      BSS dos.bss
>>
>> (TIMEOUT doesn't seem to be working.. I get:
>> "Could not find kernel image: linux", instantly!)
>
> I think the order is wrong to get the desired behavior.  Do you want
> it to always boot the desired LABEL statement but present the boot:
> prompt for a timout of 100?
>
> Also, I'm unsure if labels including " " (blank space) or "/" are
> allowed (SYSLINUX did mangle label names to DOS file names 8.3 but no
> longer.  I always stick to nice Linux/vfat file names to be
> safe[-_.a-zA-Z0-9]).  "SAY" might not be allowed within the "LABEL"
> statement.

Spaces are not allowed in LABELs.  Slashes are, however.

SAY gets executed directly when it is read, not when a label is selected.

> DEFAULT pc_ghost
> TIMEOUT 100
>
> LABEL pc_ghost
> 	MENU LABEL PCDOS/Ghost Boot - Console Connect
> 	BSS dos.bss

That should work a lot better.