[syslinux] PXE booting BartPE ISO file to Eee Pc

Dyks, Axel (XL) xl at xlsigned.net
Fri Nov 14 07:41:29 PST 2008

cr4z3d wrote:
> So I've been playing with this for hours and still unable to get everything
> working properly. In short I'm trying to boot an ISO image created by BartPE
> over pxelinux. When I attempt to do this it goes directly to a blank screen
> that just has a blinking cursor. Here's what my setup looks like:
>
> pebuilder.iso - the ISO file created from BartPE using WinXP SP2 CD as
> source but with ramdisk.sys and ramdisk.inf replaced (sys file in
> i386\System32\Drivers inf in i386\INF) from an extracted Server 2003 SP1
> download (used 7zip to extract)
>
> I've copied setupldr.exe into the root of my TFTP server and renamed it
> ntldr. I also put startrom.com in there (renamed startrom.bs), ntdetect.com,
> and winnt.sif.
>
> My winnt.sif file:
>
> [SetupData]
> BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"
> BootPath = "\i386\System32\"
> OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd
> /rdpath=pebuilder.iso"
>
> My pxelinux menu to boot startrom.bs:
>
> label bartacronis
> MENU LABEL ^BartPE w/ Acronis
> kernel startrom.bs
>
> Seems to just go to a screen with a blinking cursor and just hang there
> forever. I have other things in my boot menu that all work fine so I'm
> assuming it has to do with my BartPE setup. I've even tried telling DHCP to
> hand out startrom.com as the file to boot from instead of pxelinux but
> stilll get the same screen.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Inspecting the log from your TFTP server might reveal
at which phase booting hangs ...

I remember that when trying almost the same thing with tftp-hpa
on Linux the problem was due to TFTP on Linux not liking any
backslash (\) characters as part of the filename or rather path.

I was able to resolve this issue by using the "-m" switch of "in.tftpd"
and using the following "remap" file.
> # (0) Make Windows Happy: Substitute "\" by "/"
>
> # (1) Make Windows Happy: Convert everything to lowercase
> # NOTE that -- as a consequence -- ALL files and folders
> # below tftproot need to be lowercase

Don't know, if this helps ...

Cheers,

Axel