[syslinux] [Etherboot-developers] gPxe functionality in pxelinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Nov 27 11:25:00 PST 2008

Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> Thanks for the patch but I believe the behavior isn't quite as expected.
> Thanks for explaining and giving a valid example.  Is there a
> definitive reference (an RFC?) which describes the resolver algorithm?
>
>> This method suggested would cover both cases and you can't assume
>> no dots is not a FQDN http://com/  is valid, technically.
> I don't agree with this point.  The name "com" is not absolute.  I
> think you mean "com." which is rooted and absolute.
> [http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1535.txt]

Under that logic, *none* of the names in common use are absolute
(example.com should really be example.com.).  The search algorithm for
non-rooted pathnames is considered system-specific, but a non-rooted
FQDN is obviously expected to work.  There has been a very small number
of valid single-stanza FQDNs ("va" was valid for a while), but they are
few and far between, and you can deal with them by adding a dot - "va."

So I think what you have is perfectly fine for a boot loader, certainly.