[syslinux] [Etherboot-developers] gPxe functionality in pxelinux

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 14:07:50 PST 2008

Thanks for your feedback hpa.  I believe the current patch is already
useful but am happy to implement the more full-featured behavior
described by Kevin.

Marty and Michael: do you have any preferences on this issue?  Perhaps
we really do want to keep it minimal like hpa suggests to limit bloat?
 There is no standard here anyway.

A "qualifying DNS" resolver could be implemented as an optional gPXE
resolver.  Stripped down builds would only compile in the existing
"DNS" resolver, whereas full-featured builds would additionally
compile in the "qualifying DNS" resolver.  The "qualifying DNS"
resolver appends the local domain as appropriate and delegates to the
existing "DNS" resolver (as a child resolver like the mux resolver
code in core/resolv.c).

BTW resolv.conf(5) on Linux explains their resolver's behavior.  In
particular the ndots option "sets a threshold for the number of dots
which must  appear  in  a  name [...] before  an initial absolute
query will be made".  The default value for ndots is 1.

This produces the familiar behavior:
host1 -> host1.localdomain

host1.sub -> host1.sub
               -> host1.sub.localdomain