[syslinux] Looking for testers and advise about ISOLINUX within ISO 9660

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Oct 7 10:23:30 PDT 2008

Hi,

> It's BIOSes.  Of course they violate the spec.

Then it's ok.
So multi-session bootability will work reliably
only on formatted media where we can fool the BIOS.

> No, there is no reliable signature in isolinux.bin.

Pity.
Currently man xorriso has to state about option
 -boot_image isolinux patch
which is needed to maintain bootability after
adding a session:

      CAUTION: This is an expert option.  xorriso cannot recognize the
      inner form of boot images.  So the  user  has  already  to  know
      about the particular needs of the boot image which is present on
      the input media.

> There is a reliable signature at offset 64 in the variants that support
> hybrid mode.  For those, you may want to implement the equivalent of the
> isohybrid program into your tool.

Ahum.
After googling via "isohybrid" "program" through some corn
breeder chat rooms i found back by "isohybrid" "syslinux":
  http://www.sfr-fresh.com/linux/misc/syslinux-3.72.tar.gz:a/syslinux-3.72/doc/isolinux.txt

It seems a bit an overkill for the recognition task
but might be an interesting feature for libisofs.

I understood (but never tested) that rescue system RIP
boots from USB sticks since quite a while. It contains
ISOLINUX obviously.
So under what circumstances is the "hybrid ISO mode"
necessary with USB sticks ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas