[syslinux] Looking for testers and advise about ISOLINUX within ISO 9660

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Oct 8 08:07:40 PDT 2008

Hi,

>...>   http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/mkusb.txt

This was mainly to illustrate that i gave up
my naive assumption that one could simply
boot from an ISO 9660 image on USB stick
the same way as from optical media.
Now i understand the benefit of isohybrid.

I got feedback from Vreixo, the libisofs
developer, that he is interested in adopting
the feature. (His mail copy to this list
did not appear since hours.)

So we would try to perform the job of
util/isohybrid on the fly during ISO image
generation.
My idea is to have three modes:
 auto  recognizes the isolinux.bin hybrid signature
       and eventually applies the isohybrid feature
 off   disables isohybrid, i.e. CD/DVD bootable only
 on    fails if no isolinux.bin hybrid signature
       is found (like util/isohybrid does).
       "hybrid or die !"

Proposals are welcome about which one to make default
("auto" or "off" ?).

I'll announce as soon as we have something to show.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas