[syslinux] Strange Lockup

B Royles broyles at kes.sheffield.sch.uk
Mon Oct 13 05:44:03 PDT 2008

Hi All,

We seem to have a strange problem with our NEC ML4 pcs.

When using pxelinux to network boot, we are getting our menu (using menu.c32) when we choose a option the machine just locks up.
If the option requires a password it shows the password box , I put in the password and then it locks up. But strangely the machine will boot from local disk which is an option on the boot menu.

Our config files are at the bottom of this mail.

Any help is appreciated. Or if you need any more info please let me know

Thanks,

Brett Royles
Senior ICT Technician
King Edward VII School

================== pxelinux.cfg/default =====================
# isolinux/pxelinux configuration file
# http://syslinux.zytor.com/menu.php
DEFAULT menu.c32
MENU BACKGROUND background.png
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 30
NOESCAPE 0
#ALLOWOPTIONS 0
#DISPLAY msgs/boot.msg
#F1 msgs/boot.msg#
#F2 msgs/general.msg
MENU MASTER PASSWD $REMOVED

MENU TITLE ...Welcome to King Edward VII School...

LABEL localboot
        MENU LABEL ^Local Boot
        MENU default
        localboot -1

label ThinStation
        MENU label ^Run the Thin Station Client (with ICA)
        kernel vmlinuz-thinstation
        append ramdisk_blocksize=4096 initrd=initrd-thinstation root=/dev/ram0 vga=791 console=ttyS3 ramdisk_size=52428 quiet splash=silent

LABEL ICT Support
        MENU LABEL ^ICT Support Menu
        MENU PASSWD $REMOVED
        KERNEL vesamenu.c32
        APPEND pxelinux.cfg/graphics.conf pxelinux.cfg/ict.menu

===================== pxelinux.cfg/graphics.conf ========================================
    menu color tabmsg 37;40      #80ffffff #00000000
    menu color hotsel 30;47      #40000000 #20ffffff
    menu color sel 30;47      #40000000 #20ffffff
    menu color scrollbar 30;47      #40000000 #20ffffff
    MENU WIDTH 80
    MENU MARGIN 22
    MENU PASSWORDMARGIN 26
    MENU ROWS 6
    MENU TABMSGROW 15
    MENU CMDLINEROW 15
    MENU ENDROW 24
    MENU PASSWORDROW 12
    MENU TIMEOUTROW 13
    MENU VSHIFT 6
    MENU PASSPROMPT Enter Password:
    NOESCAPE 1
    ALLOWOPTIONS 0

MENU TITLE ICT Support Services
MENU BACKGROUND ictback.png

label unattended
        MENU label ^Re install computer
        kernel bzImage_unattended
        append initrd=initrd_unattended z_user=$REMOVED,password=$REMOVED

label MemoryTester
        MENU label ^Test this computers memory
        kernel memtest