[syslinux] Gfxboot COMBOOT module

Sebastian Herbszt herbszt at gmx.de
Mon Oct 13 15:20:26 PDT 2008

> Hello all,
>
> i announce you the gfxboot COMBOOT module which is written in assembler.
> Since i didn't find as much spare time as i have hoped last weekend it is
> far from complete. Nevertheless the module is able to interact with the
> bincode ([1] and [2]) in the bootlogo cpio archive from the openSUSE 10.2
> mini cd. So far it is able to call the bincode gfxboot code and setup some
> menu entries. Some callbacks (status, open and read) have already been
> implemented but it is missing a config file parser, so the menu entries
> are
> hard coded. This also applies to other parts like some values of the
> sysconfig structure.
>
> [1] http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gfxboot1bp9.jpg
> [2] http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gfxboot3bp5.jpg

Short update:
gfxboot module is now working with syslinux, extlinux and isolinux.
getcwd, chdir and readsector callbacks have been somewhat implemented.
Most hard coded values have been replaced by runtime calculated ones.
Config file parser is still missing. I intent to implement something simple
just understanding LABEL and TIMEOUT.
Current syntax is "gfxboot.com <bootlogo>".

- Sebastian