[syslinux] Offtopic: a request for help

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Oct 14 15:58:17 PDT 2008

First of all, let me say that this is completely offtopic.  However,
well, it is something that matters to some people who are very dear to
me and therefore I'm going to break my own rules and post it anyway.

If you are not a resident of the United States, this doesn't apply to you.

Here in California, same-sex marriage was recently legalized by a
Supreme Court decision, as the California Constitution has very strong
protections of individual rights and freedoms.  The court ruling was
based in large part on the one that legalized interracial marriage in
1948 (Peres v. Sharp), today considered a landmark civil rights ruling.

Unfortunately, there are people who want to turn back the clock, and
they have raised very large amounts of money which are used for
scare-tactic ads.  Therefore, I'm going to ask that if you care about
equality and civil rights, please make a donation to NoOnProp8.com, and
if you live in California, please vote no on Proposition 8.

For those of you who do not know me personally, I am heterosexual and
married for eight years.  It may be hard to hard for us who aren't
directly and personally affected to conceive of the government telling
us that our marriages are to be dissolved because someone else does not
approve of it, but that is literally what is facing my friends.  And
please have my personal thanks.

Sincerely,