[syslinux] PXE Linux boot to F12 automatically

Claus Andersen clan at wheel.dk
Wed Oct 22 06:56:51 PDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> I hear what you all say, but also remember we have our reasons for
>  doing things the way we do,

But you do not qualify what is wrong with our suggestions. We can all
understand the limitations of an existing environment which needs to be
taken into account.

> So I will change my question,

Mocing targets are more fun ;-)

> Bearing in mind that we have loaded an OS for test purposes at the
> build stage, and it will be the same OS that we will reload at the
> end.
> But we run some pretty good tests on the system and we don't want to
> release the image as a final image after we have loaded all the test
> software and verification tools. But we do need the PXE to pause if
> it does not get a key press it must skip PXE or abort and carry on
> to load the installed OS of that unit.

I wish you had been a little more specific here. Are you trying to abort
and get hold of the other PXE Server or are you content if we boot the
local harddisk which then will carry on the load?

> Does anyone have sample config files I can use for guidance to experiment?

That is however within my limited abilities. The following will boot the
local harddisk if no action is performed. The "magic" here is
"MENU DEFAULT"

Rgds,
Claus

The content of a working pxelinux.cfg/default file:

DEFAULT menu.c32
PROMPT 0
NOESCAPE 0
ALLOWOPTIONS 0
TIMEOUT 100

MENU TITLE PXE Boot menu

LABEL WinPE_2.1_x86
  MENU	LABEL Windows PE 2.1 (x86)
  KERNEL	x86boot/pxeboot.n12.0

LABEL WinPE_2.1_amd64
  MENU	LABEL Windows PE 2.1 (amd64)
  KERNEL amd64boot/pxeboot.n12.0

LABEL Windows PE 2.1 (x86/amd64)
  MENU	LABEL Windows PE 2.1 (x86/amd64)
  KERNEL	util/ifcpu64.c32
  APPEND	WinPE_2.1_amd64 -- WinPE_2.1_x86PAE -- WinPE_2.1_x86

LABEL WinPE_2.1_x86.SDI
  MENU	LABEL Windows PE 2.1 (x86) SDI
  KERNEL	util/sdi.c32
  APPEND http://172.16.0.1/test.sdi