[syslinux] PXE Linux boot to F12 automatically

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Wed Oct 22 08:17:52 PDT 2008

Hi Claus,

I never said there was fault with your suggestions and I have considered them seriously, it just a case of implementing these suggestions as they will change my procedures.

As I said I think it is the way I am explaining the environment and order of operations... :(
And I do struggle to explain the system to others. This is my fault as I work in extreme detail (scripts and some code) and hardly ever take a step back to summarize the big picture.

In stage1 we prep components
Stage2 we assemble components and load the test OS from Server 1
Stage3  we test - flash bioses and go mad on the unit. In-between tests run from the PXE or Bios Updates the OS must be booted to verify things have worked. Now the way we work is each person will run up to 10 units at a time. So he will for example flash the bios, we have coded an auto reboot after each task is complete, so while the unit reboots the tester leaves this unit moves to next one performs the same task there and so on, all this scripted of course and he only has to select which bios. So from 1 to 10 units he starts the flash prcess and moves to the next unit, the 1st unit finishes and reboots on its own. While he on the next unit the previous will boot to windows without intervention. When unit 10 is done he returns to 1 and runs a series of checks and tests in windows. He then reboots back to PE pressing F12 choosing the next option, and while it boots PE or Linux he goes to the next one and so one. So it is a complex process and it covers 9 reboots. 5 Windows, and 4 PXE.

Stage 4 The units are then hooked up to a different server on an isolated network apart from a firewall which allows us only to ftp images over. We only do that once in a while if there are any changes in hardware. This server loads the final user image which is in what we call OOBE mode and ready for the customer. From here we do not switch the units on again, except for 2% of the units to spot check.

Stage 5 the units are sent to the packaging department and packed.

So that's the nutshell simplest I way I can explain this. It has taken me over 3 years to develop this system and the result is that I have 0.0032% failure rate, and a DOA rate of 0.0001% 32 in a 1000 units, and 1 in 1000 units. We can produce a PC every 30 secs with a total 40 people. So for every second a person is working on a computer it must be in the ready state (booted to console or desktop) needed to perform the next task. So if it's still booting up or still has to boot up when the tester gets back to that machine, we are wasting time.

Stage 3 is the focus area,

If I can abort the menu and continue to boot from Hard drive that will be great - 1st prize, but I see in your DEFAULT  MENU you have localboot.c32 which I think should do this? Where did you get that from?

Thank You very much for being so patient.

Regards
Chadley