[syslinux] Question about .bs and .bss style bootsectors.

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Wed Oct 22 14:34:36 PDT 2008

Hello

Recently I've been happily experimenting with syslinux, replacing grub
and my old bootmanager. All works beautifully, but I have one question -
in case of .bss bootsectors - what exactly and under what circumstances
is patched in ?

With syslinux used as main bootmanager - bootsectors from xp64, xp32 and
[pre-syslinux] msdos 7.1 (98se) work perfectly fine when chainloaded
natively as .bs (and dos also as .bss).

PS.

By the way - there's another "trick" to make dos (at least microsoft
versions) to boot from another harddisk - if you set actual physical
drive number in its bootsector and as active flag on the respective disk
(e.g. 81h instead of 80h). This way there's no need for drive swapping code.