[syslinux] Question about .bs and .bss style bootsectors.

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Oct 22 16:02:20 PDT 2008

Michal Soltys wrote:

> By the way - there's another "trick" to make dos (at least microsoft
> versions) to boot from another harddisk - if you set actual physical
> drive number in its bootsector and as active flag on the respective disk
> (e.g. 81h instead of 80h). This way there's no need for drive swapping code.

Interesting, although I much would like to avoid writing to a disk
whenever possible.  On the other hand, perhaps one can just load the
bootsector and patch the drive number in the boot sector in memory; that
is very easy to do and would be a nice option.  I'll probably cook up a
patch for that just because it's so easy.