[syslinux] Question about .bs and .bss style bootsectors.

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Oct 22 16:06:42 PDT 2008

Michal Soltys wrote:
> Hello
>
> Recently I've been happily experimenting with syslinux, replacing grub
> and my old bootmanager. All works beautifully, but I have one question -
> in case of .bss bootsectors - what exactly and under what circumstances
> is patched in ?

What is patched in is the FAT superblock from the Syslinux system
volume, starting at byte 11.  However, I did just notice a dangerous
thing: I always copy the number of bytes appropriate for FAT32, which is
larger than for FAT12/16.  I will fix that :)

.bss is obviously only supported when booting from a FAT filesystem.