[syslinux] Failure to boot isohybrid image from USB stick

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Oct 24 11:35:00 PDT 2008

Hi,

me:
> > "Award A7V8-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1008 12/29/2003".
H. Peter Anvin:
> Figures.  This BIOS has some very interesting braindamage when it comes
> to USB booting.
me:
> > "Ultra133TX2 2.20.0.15  1999-2001 Promise Inc."
H. Peter Anvin:
> It's called an "expansion BIOS" and resides on a ROM on the card.
> However, it is unlikely to actually be the cause, so I wouldn't
> worry too much about it.

But the computer ignored the USB stick before
i negociated with the Promise BIOS while the
USB stick was in.
>From then on, the computer reacted on USB stick
either by booting from FAT or by stalling on ISO+MBR.

So the Promise BIOS is in some way involved.

I know that an identical Promise controller reliably
prevented booting from a SATA disk in another computer.
It appears not so much as extension but as occupant.

My reason for having it was to operate three DVD
drives and a hard disk simultaneously without clogging.
Meanwhile that computer serves as retirement home for
half blind IDE burners.

> First of all, please try a different *brand* USB stick.

I'll try to get some.

I consider to pull the Promise controller
for a test. There will be no hard disk and
possibly i won't be able to close the box
afterwards.
(It looks like the plumbing in the movie
"Brazil". My ninja plumber will only be
available in about one or two weeks.)

> probably will take adding a bunch of debugging code to
> isohybrid and then applying some decent guesswork.

Will it suffice to replace /boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin
in the RIP-7.0 image or will i have to learn how
to build own bootable systems ?
(What's the best quick guide for dummie programmers ?)

> obviously the job hunt goes first.

Well understood. I'm crossing fingers for you.

It is not overly urgent for me.
I mainly wanted to test xorriso's isohybrid feature.
Well, at least it is not worse than with your perl
script. {:)
The only thing about which i am impatient is to
hear that it is *as good* as your script's output.

I will stick to the issue and report about
any new insight.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas