[syslinux] Syslinux Project versus its components

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Oct 27 12:14:36 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I have decided to adopt the following nomenclature going forward.  I
think it's a reasonable compromise between 14 years of history and the
needs going forward, and IMO looks better than using all caps everywhere:

- The project itself is the Syslinux Project.
- It's primary product is Syslinux, a collection of bootloaders.
- The main components of Syslinux are:
   - SYSLINUX, for FAT filesystems;
   - PXELINUX, for TFTP network booting;
   - gPXELINUX, for advanced network booting;
   - ISOLINUX, for ISO9660 filesystems;
   - EXTLINUX, for ext2/ext3 filesystems.

I hope this makes a little bit more sense, and at least helps reduce
SCREAMING. ;)