[syslinux] Syslinux Project versus its components

Kevin Landreth crackerjackmack at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 12:36:26 PDT 2008

I Like the naming convention except for "SYSLINUX for FAT" because that
recreates a bit of recursion in naming such as "The SYSLINUX project
consists of SYSLINUX for FAT ... "

I understand that it is where the project originated but since you've moved
a lot out into com32 modules and into different internal libraries, wouldn't
it be best to move the Syslinux name as the project and rename syslinux
tools to something else?  FATLINUX or something maybe?  Because at this
point, I think most of the attention comes from syslinux for TOOLNAME and
not use syslinux for PXE booting.

Just my two cents, so please take it with a grain of salt. I really love the
project and have been using it for the last 6 years.

- Kevin Landreth

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 2:14 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have decided to adopt the following nomenclature going forward.  I
> think it's a reasonable compromise between 14 years of history and the
> needs going forward, and IMO looks better than using all caps everywhere:
>
> - The project itself is the Syslinux Project.
> - It's primary product is Syslinux, a collection of bootloaders.
> - The main components of Syslinux are:
>   - SYSLINUX, for FAT filesystems;
>   - PXELINUX, for TFTP network booting;
>   - gPXELINUX, for advanced network booting;
>   - ISOLINUX, for ISO9660 filesystems;
>   - EXTLINUX, for ext2/ext3 filesystems.
>
> I hope this makes a little bit more sense, and at least helps reduce
> SCREAMING. ;)
>
>        -hpa

Kevin Landreth, RHCE