[syslinux] boot hangs on DELL Inspiron 530 BIOS 10.0.12

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Oct 29 02:12:17 PDT 2008

Op 20081028 om 11:41 schreef Matthew Baldwin:
> Client System:
>
> Dell inspiron 530
> Bios revision 10.0.12
> NIC Intel 82562V-2
>

> Server:
>
> Ubuntu Server (hardy)
> Syslinux 3.72

> When falling into the boot: prompt (config file doesn't work either) if type
> menu.c32 the machine hangs. If I first type something that causes it to fail
> (blah for example) and then afterward type menu.c32 the machine loads the
> menu and everything appears to be normal.

That is wierd. One would expect never a fail or allways a fail.

In the archive of this mailinglist are more reports of broken (DELL) BIOSes.
I remember one report where a older version of the BIOS solved the problem.

Another workaround could be http://etherboot.org/wiki/pxechaining

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--