[syslinux] Using syslinux on the PMBR of a GPT partition table

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Wed Oct 29 05:46:38 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've been working on making a USB key which is bootable via EFI and
BIOS, and so far I've succeeded but only by using GRUB on the MBR.
Syslinux installs correctly, but because the USB key can only have one
partition and its type is EFI protective, it isn't set to bootable on
the MBR partition table and so syslinux (mbr.bin) doesn't boot. I've
also tried gptmbr.bin which semi-works -- I don't get "missing operating
system" as I do with mbr.bin, but the OS doesn't actually load either.
My BIOS just reads the USB key a bit and then gets stuck.

I was wondering what was the status of syslinux and GPT, and was
wondering what testing I could do to help improve hybrid GPT+MBR support.

Stewart