[syslinux] Using syslinux on the PMBR of a GPT partition table

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Wed Oct 29 15:21:56 PDT 2008

On 10/29/08 12:48 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Right, OK.  For gptmbr.bin to work, it needs the UUID of the boot
> partition written into offset 424.  However, there seems to be more that
> goes wrong in your case.
>
> Perhaps you could even get me an image to download that I could poke
> around with.
>
> 	-hpa

I have a slow upload cap so I won't be able to give you the full 700MB
image, but it's easy to reproduce the content of the USB key:

1. Check out Fedora's livecd-tools from Git [1]
2. Apply to this [2] patch to tools/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh
3. Download the Fedora 10 Snapshot 3 ISO
4. Run tools/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --mactel --format path/to/iso /dev/sdx

[1] http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/?p=hosted/livecd
[2] http://downloads.diffingo.com/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh-efi.patch

P.S. If there's an easier way to do this (ie if you only need the first
10ish MB of the key), let me know and I'll send you the sample.

Thanks,
Stewart