[syslinux] Best method for booting logical partions via syslinux...

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Wed Sep 3 02:48:46 PDT 2008

Tech Digger <techdiggr at yahoo.com> writes:

> --- On Fri, 8/29/08, Ferenc Wagner <wferi at niif.hu> wrote:
>
>> Tech Digger <techdiggr at yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> The problem with placing 'all' of the extracted Live CD files in one
>>> location is...
>>> some folders/files have the same names from different Live CDs.
>>
>> Yes.  And they would create a mess anyway, so I put them under
>> separate directories.
>>
>>> I felt if each partition housed it's own Live CD, then there would
>>> be no need to hack any initrd script or other, and would ease in
>>> adding/subtracting new distros.
>>
>> Well, if adding/subtracting partitions is easy, then more power to you.
>> My method indeed requires some labour investment, but the distros I
>> encountered (Musix and Finnix) had boot parameters to override their
>> boot directory so butchering initrds wasn't necessary in the end.
>>
>>> The chain.c32 approach didn't work and the documentation is not as
>>> robust as I feel comfortable.
>>
>> I never tried, but syslinux in general is very well maintained, so
>> speak up if something doesn't work as advertised.  Enclosing a small
>> image demonstrating the problem helps tremendously.
>
> chain.c32 is sputtering all over the place. I'm tempted to return to
> an external boot CD/DVD instead.

Please submit a proper bug report (include syslinux version, media,
what you wanted to achieve, what actions you performed, what you
expected and what happened instead)!

> By the way, I haven't used a list for years... how do I reply to the
> list and not your individual message?

Look for "followup", "wide reply", "reply to all" or similar commands
in your email client.  It is a general feature and probably very easy
to access in any email client.

But please refrain from top-posting, especially when using a mailing
list (recommended reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_styles).
--
Thanks,
Feri.