[syslinux] gpxelinux feature request

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Sep 5 09:17:30 PDT 2008

Doug Scoular wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> You don't need to do that anymore.
>>
>> First of all, if you simply use gpxelinux.0 instead of pxelinux.0, you
>> don't have an infinite loop to break.
>
> I thought gpxelinux.0 (3.71) still had problems with chain booting other
> network boot programs. Has this changed or can I use gpxelinux.0
> in production environments everywhere that I would pxelinux.0 ?

No, sorry, that bug is still outstanding.

>> Second, if that still isn't sufficient, gPXE supports "embedded
>> scripts", which is a really powerful facility; it can be used to do
>> these kinds of things and much more.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "embedded scripts" do you mean
> the EMBEDDED_IMAGE definition in the gpxe Makefile to hard-code
> a url to a script ? Is this specific to gpxe or does gpxelinux also have
> this feature.

Well, you hardcode a gPXE script by pointing EMBEDDED_IMAGE= to it.
In gpxelinux, the embedded image is already pxelinux.0; right now you
can't have both a script and an image, but work on fixing that is underway.

> Apologies for being more than a little confused. I would still dearly
> love to be able to somehow pass a URL with the clients MAC or
> UUID embedded in it.

gPXE can do that in current -git I believe.  PXELINUX doesn't do that yet.