[syslinux] Gigabyte motherboards and Syslinux

Rodney Beede business2008 at rodneybeede.com
Fri Sep 19 23:09:34 PDT 2008

I read the mailing list archive about Gigabyte motherboards not working
with USB booting ("[syslinux] Gigabyte recent bios & syslinux extlinux
trow USB-IDE bridges or pendrives", 16 Aug 2006).

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H motherboard that I tried to boot in
USB-HDD mode with a PNY boot pen.  I installed System Rescue CD on it.

It would appear that Gigabyte still doesn't support booting from USB
with Syslinux.  I did boot BartPE (Windows based boot loader) from the
same usb key without issues on the board.  There are no bios updates for
my motherboard.

My question:  Has anyone successfully booted from a USB key chain drive
with Syslinux and a Gigabyte motherboard?

Rodney Beede