[syslinux] Gigabyte motherboards and Syslinux

Sergey Vlasov vsu at altlinux.ru
Sat Sep 20 08:45:24 PDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 01:09:34AM -0500, Rodney Beede wrote:
> I read the mailing list archive about Gigabyte motherboards not working
> with USB booting ("[syslinux] Gigabyte recent bios & syslinux extlinux
> trow USB-IDE bridges or pendrives", 16 Aug 2006).
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H motherboard that I tried to boot in
> USB-HDD mode with a PNY boot pen.  I installed System Rescue CD on it.
>
> It would appear that Gigabyte still doesn't support booting from USB
> with Syslinux.  I did boot BartPE (Windows based boot loader) from the
> same usb key without issues on the board.  There are no bios updates for
> my motherboard.
>
> My question:  Has anyone successfully booted from a USB key chain drive
> with Syslinux and a Gigabyte motherboard?

At least several months ago with GA-P35-DS3R booting SYSLINUX worked
fine with Transcend JF110 1GB partitioned as follows:

Disk /dev/sdd: 1048 MB, 1048576000 bytes
32 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1015 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 = 1032192 bytes

/dev/sdd1   *           1        1014     1022080+   6  FAT16

However, GA-P35-DS3R is an Intel chipset motherboard, and the USB
storage support module in its BIOS might be completely different from
the implementation for the AMD 790 chipset.