[syslinux] Gigabyte motherboards and Syslinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Sep 21 12:48:03 PDT 2008

Rodney Beede wrote:
> I read the mailing list archive about Gigabyte motherboards not working
> with USB booting ("[syslinux] Gigabyte recent bios & syslinux extlinux
> trow USB-IDE bridges or pendrives", 16 Aug 2006).
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H motherboard that I tried to boot in
> USB-HDD mode with a PNY boot pen.  I installed System Rescue CD on it.
>
> It would appear that Gigabyte still doesn't support booting from USB
> with Syslinux.  I did boot BartPE (Windows based boot loader) from the
> same usb key without issues on the board.  There are no bios updates for
> my motherboard.

It would be *extremely* weird if every Gigabyte motherboard had
problems.  Most likely it is limited to a relatively small set of
motherboards.

The fact that you can boot BartPE, however, is illustrative; it does
seem to mean that there is something that can be used as a fulcrum to
make these things boot.  The question is how to find it.  I'll have to
think about possible attack avenues.

I presume there is no USB-ZIP mode.