[syslinux] VPD information, macros and syslinux

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Sep 24 05:23:31 PDT 2008

Hi,

I would be very interested in a possibility to create variables or macros
within syslinux. One of the things I would like to have is a way to query
DMI/VPD information, and use that as kernel parameters or to influence eg
menu's or boot labels (based on system information).

One of those very specific needs is to get the MAC address of the first
onboard interface (which is available somewhere) from an isolinux boot and
add it as a ksdevice= boot parameter.

(Yes, corporate policy prohibits DHCP and PXE on production datacenter
networks.)

I was wondering about 2 things:

  - do we want to extend the current configuration file to include a new
    syntax for the things we want to do.

  - do we want to generate a configuration file from a more general-purpose
    language ?

My preference would go for the second. Imagine we have some sort of lua
scripting language integrated and we could instead of providing a
config-file, provide a lua-script that outputs a config-file.

Using a general purpose language allows to test those scripts on a normal
system. But it also allows to create functions to do more advanced things
like get DMI/VPD information and use that when generating the boot labels.

In a later stadium we could even allow inline lua-scripts inside the
config-file (although I don't really see how that would be useful atm).

What do people think ?