[syslinux] VPD information, macros and syslinux

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Sep 24 18:00:11 PDT 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>>> Well, a lot of work in this area has already been done; we have a number
>>> of query libraries, and we have a Lua interpreter.  The main thing is
>>> for someone to spend the time and put them together.
>>
>> But the lua interpreter would be used to dynamically create the current
>> syntax config-file ? Or would it work differently ?
>
> More likely they'll be a Lua call looking something like:
>
> syslinux.boot('kernel', 'parameters')

Hmm, but that would be very limited in use. While being able to
dynamically construct the syslinux configfile would provide much more
flexibility, since you can create whatever menu or submenu on the fly
based on whatever criteria you like.

>> Sadly I don't think I am qualified for that job :-/
>>
>> But there are a lot of use-cases that I can write up, which could be used
>> as a set of requirements for the implementation ?
>
> Can't hurt, but as with everything else there is an almost infinite
> amount of work to do and only so many people willing to do them.

I understand. Let me see if I can add something to the wiki that decribes
some use-cases as well as the general idea and see if the current design
would allow those use-cases.

Kind regards,