[syslinux] Syslinux problem with Dell usb keyboard

Hans Timmerman j.timmerman at hccnet.nl
Thu Sep 25 10:23:54 PDT 2008

Problems With wireless keyboard and form Dell and a Dell domensioen 5150
computer

I have obtained a DVD UBCD on it and also a Linux distributions.
By booting this DVD the main menu is displayed but the wireless usb
board does not react.

I made A working USB stick with a working UBCD (with working usb
keyboard) with instuctions given
in under mentioned forum about this matter.

QUESTIONS:

1. Would it be possible to include the 'trick' syslunix 3.62 inthe next
release.
2. Is there on the USB stick, mentioned before, an opportunity
incorperate in the main.cfg a jump
to Linux distribution on my DVD.
3. How is in syslinus the numbering harddisk partions and CD/DVD drives.
or how can i find the CD/DVD drive number hd*,* sd*,*

Hope can help me.

QUOTE
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=4201

Joined: 02 Jan 2008

Post subject: UBCD 4.1.1 usb keyboard not working on dell GX620

I have exhausted every option in the bios,
I boot the cd and get the main menu but the keyboard will not work.
Is there a fix for this?

The computer is a dell optiplex GX620, with usb keyboard and mouse.
There is no ps2 port so I have to use a usb keyboard.

However, I am able to use UBCD 4.1.1 on a dell precision 490 with usb
keyboard.

Hi ron7000,
i have had the same problem.

download syslinux 3.62, you need only memdisk\memdisk and the files form
syslinux\win32.
Copy memdisk from this version to ubcd\syslinux (perhaps it works too
with the old version) and work with the great solution from syntaxer:

1) format your usb stick with fat (i'd prefer fat16)
2) Download syslinux and start syslinux\win32\syslinux.exe e: (where e:
is the driveletter of your usb stick)
3) copy from ubcd the files from the \syslinux directory to the root of
your usb stick (except: ldlinux.sys)
4) copy now the all the files and directories from ubcd to the root of
your usb stick
UNQUOTE