[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.72 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Sep 26 13:00:51 PDT 2008

jm black wrote:
> Is their wiki documentation for the new hybrid mode? Im a bit confused as to
> how to use the new script... and really beyond that after the "iso" has been
> molested =) how that helps use it on a flash drive... classicly iso images
> could not should not be written to flash media.* *I must be missing
> something rather obvious but cant work out what it is.

The wiki hasn't been updated yet, but doc/isolinux.txt has the information.

http://syslinux.zytor.com/doc/isolinux.txt

Overall I'm not sure the wiki was such a good idea in the end; at least
as a primary documentation source.  It seems to have created more
documentation problems, not less.  I'd like to be able to use something
like asciidoc or anything else which can produce man pages and HTML, but
   I don't see myself finding the time to revamp the docs as it is...

> My 'broken' understanding...
>
> 1) compile an iso (test.iso) using mkisofs, specifying isolinux as the boot
> file as normal...
> 2) (optional) test that the iso is bootable in your fav virtual machine (as
> a cd)
> 3) use "isohybrid" on the iso:
> (optional) rename isohybrid isohybrid.pl
> isohybrid.pl test.iso
> 4) (optional) test that the iso is still bootable in your fav virtual
> machine (as a cd)
> 5) ...
> 6) ...

Yup, that's pretty much it.

The other thing is to keep in mind that whatever is running on the ISO
might be confused about being booted off what looks like a hard drive.
That can of course only be addressed by the content creator.  For
example, I have tried this with existing Debian liveCDs, which just
worked out of the box), and with Anaconda (Red Hat's installer program),
which didn't -- it expects its source data to look different on a hard
disk than on a CD.