[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.72 released

jm black jmblack256 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 13:19:18 PDT 2008

> The wiki hasn't been updated yet, but doc/isolinux.txt has the information.
>
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/doc/isolinux.txt

> > My 'broken' understanding...
> >
> > 1) compile an iso (test.iso) using mkisofs, specifying isolinux as the
> boot
> > file as normal...
> > 2) (optional) test that the iso is bootable in your fav virtual machine
> (as
> > a cd)
> > 3) use "isohybrid" on the iso:
> > (optional) rename isohybrid isohybrid.pl
> > isohybrid.pl test.iso
> > 4) (optional) test that the iso is still bootable in your fav virtual
> > machine (as a cd)
> > 5) ...
> > 6) ...
>
> Yup, that's pretty much it.
>
> The other thing is to keep in mind that whatever is running on the ISO
> might be confused about being booted off what looks like a hard drive.
> That can of course only be addressed by the content creator.  For
> example, I have tried this with existing Debian liveCDs, which just
> worked out of the box), and with Anaconda (Red Hat's installer program),
> which didn't -- it expects its source data to look different on a hard
> disk than on a CD.
>
>        -hpa

For the archives:

the piece I was missing was...

This image can then be copied using any raw disk writing tool (on Unix
systems, typically "dd" or "cat") to a USB disk, or written to a
CD-ROM using standard CD burning tools.

so step 5 would be:
5) dd test.iso /dev/myusbflashdevicenamehere   (syntax might be slightly
off)
6) (optional) test the flashdrive by booting to it (which virtual machine
software will boot to flash though?)

This is by the way the only time Ive ever seen mention that dd'ing an iso
image to flash would result in a valid filesystem on the flash device. =)

For now I think Ill continue to use syslinux on my flashdrives and isolinux
on cdroms, same config. This is definately intresting though for various
reasons.