[syslinux] Headless operations

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Sun Apr 5 21:29:20 PDT 2009

I've tried to say over and over again that EXTLINUX does not boot
ISOLINUX.  I even said not to say such a thing to Syslinux folks, as
they'd not understand.  I explained the difference between a Linux
kernel and the Syslinux suite of boot-loaders.  It doesn't seem to be
working. :)

What Chris means is: He's ported the isolinux/isolinux.cfg file to
become an EXTLINUX config-file.  No problems, there.  This next question
about headless operation appears to have to do with this particular
distro's installer environment, I'm guessing.

Chris, as long as your kernel cmdline as shown beside APPEND in the
EXTLINUX (or any other *LINUX of the Syslinux suite) are correct, you
should be in good shape.

Please remember, ISOLINUX is just a name, and it's the name of a
boot-loader.  There's nothing about the vmlinuz or initrd that makes
that "ISOLINUX".  They're just Linux, and can be loaded from any
boot-loader.  It might help to call each of the Syslinux suite *FOO,
such as SYSFOO, EXTFOO, ISOFOO, PXEFOO; that way it's less confusing.
EXTFOO doesn't load ISOFOO, it loads Linux.

- Shao Miller