[syslinux] Reboot from /bin/bash

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Apr 6 07:48:10 PDT 2009

Good day Chris,

I am not aware of the ability to reboot from the GRUB CLI initiated from
your Linux BASH shell.  That's not to say it's not there, but perhaps
you could point towards the resource you learned this from.

Some compilations of Linux _do_ provide support for 'kexec', which will
"reboot" to another kernel and initrd from the running environment, thus
destroying the running environment.  This might be something interesting
to you.

I think what you're really after is modifying the default option in your
extlinux.cfg file.  You can do this with any Linux editor, such as VI or
NANO.

"Shell" might be too generic a term in your e-mail.  Do you mean that
you wish to choose which LABEL option to boot from the boot-loader's
command-line interface (CLI)?  Or do you mean that you are happy to
always boot the default LABEL and then wish to reboot from your Linux
shell (BASH)?  With the former, you want to modify your extlinux.cfg
file.  With the latter, I'd say you need 'kexec'.

You might be interested in PXELINUX, if you wish to control a
workstation's boot via the network.  What you do is set the workstation
to PXE-boot in the BIOS boot order, then have your DHCP server hand out
"pxelinux.0" as the boot file.  Then read up on
Syslinux/doc/pxelinux.txt and enjoy!

- Shao Miller