[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.74-pre17: (hopefully final) release candidate

Kevin Landreth crackerjackmack at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 07:58:41 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> Let's try to get this thing released.  Dag: will you do your RPM
> buildathon on this drop?
>
> Changes in 3.74:
>        * New UI directive, which allows a more natural way to specify
>          a menu system (or not.)  With the UI directive specifying
>          the menu system, the DEFAULT directive can be used to select
>          the default entry inside the menus.
>        * kbdmap.c32: new module to load a new keyboard map
>          dynamically.
>        * isohybrid: workaround bug in some versions of binutils.
>        * Fix issue with the placement of the initrd on some machines.
>        * ifcpu64: fix handling of less than three arguments.
>        * Fix bug in the shuffle library when dealing with a very
>          large number of fragments.
>        * Documentation fixes by Vicente Jimenez Aguilar.
>        * gPXE updated to version 0.9.7.
>        * hdt.c32: Hardware Detection Tool, an interactive hardware
>          analyzer module by Erwan Velu.
>        * MEMDISK: enable automatic determination of the disk geometry
>          for a large floppy disk image if (and only if) it is
>          formatted with a FAT filesystem.
>        * SYSLINUX: fix the handling of .bss files on FAT12/16.
>        * Suppress the Loading ... message if "quiet" is specified on
>          the kernel command line.
>        * Fix the use of "CONSOLE 0" with menu.c32.
>        * Allow COM32 modules to be aware of all memory even in the
>          presence of a memory hole.  The "linux.c32" module can be
>          used to load a kernel (or memdisk) plus large initrd on
>          such a system.
>        * MBR: produce alternate MBR variants which force the drive
>          number to hd0 (_f variants), or force the drive number to
>          hd0 if the Ctrl key is pressed (_c variants.)  Furthermore,
>          add an MBR variant (altmbr*.bin) which ignores the active
>          flag and instead boots the partition number specified in the
>          byte at offset 439 decimal.

hpa,

The CLI parsers for IPAPPEND appears to still be broken as we discussed on
IRC a few days ago (pre14).  I've placed IPAPPEND at the top of the config,
below the label, and after the "APPEND" line to no avail.  It does work via
menu.c32 (because it's a difference parser, as you mentioned).

If need be, I can rebuild from git for any patch testing you would like
performed.

--
Kevin Landreth