[syslinux] menu module behaviour for menu exit

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Apr 8 10:28:31 PDT 2009

Hi,

I was looking for a way to have a submenu go back to the previous menu
when you use Escape inside the submenu. Or to return back to a menu when
you return from a com32 entry (eg. kbdmap, hdt or rosh).

I had hoped something like this worked:

----
default bootlocal
prompt 1

label menu
   menu hide
   kernel menu.c32

label bootlocal
   menu hide
   localboot -1

menu begin main
   menu title Main menu
   menu start

   label submenu
     menu label ^Submenu
     menu goto submenu

menu end

menu begin submenu
   menu title Submenu
   menu return main

   label entry1
     menu label Entry ^1
     menu return submenu
     kernel hdt.c32

   label entry2
     menu label Entry ^2
     menu return submenu
     kernel rosh.c32

menu end
----

In this case I expected Escape inside the Submenu to automatically go to
the main menu, but instead it went to the 'top' menu, which contains both
the Main menu and the Submenu.

>From the documentation the "menu exit" statement is used as an action to a
label to go back to another menu. Seems to be the same as "menu goto"
(except that it looks different in the menu itself).

But I am looking for a way to return to the previous menu when pressing
Escape, or when a com32 module returns back to syslinux.

Is there a way to achieve what I want to do ?